Add your own intro here (Customize using Settings -> General -> Tagline)

Blog Seven: Meal Prep & Favorite Recipies

selective focus photography of green and orange vegetables on black container
https://unsplash.com/@maxdelsid

Like I mentioned in my last blog, meal planning has really helped me on this journey. I feel like when I plan ahead, I eat a well-balanced diet more often. Not only that, but I can get all my groceries in one go once a week. This saves me time and money because I can plan to use similar ingredients for the week so no food goes to waste! In this blog, I want to share my top 2 go-to meals that I have made recently.

Sushi Bowls:

Photo by:

Ingredients: 

• 1 Avocado, large
  • 1 1/2 cups English cucumber
  • 3/4 cup carrots
  • Nori (seaweed packet) 
  • 1/4 cup Mayonnaise, light
  • 1/2 cup edamame 
  • 1/4 cup Soy sauce, low-sodium
  • 1 1/2 tbsp Sriracha
  • 2 cups Sushi rice 
  • 10 oz Imitation crab
  •  Sesame seeds

Instructions: Cook rice and edamame in separate pots. While rice is cooking prep carrots and cucumbers by cutting them up into small bite-sized pieces (can do matchstick carrots). Combine siracha and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Once rice is done, prepare a bowl with rice topped with carrots, cucumber, edamame, immitation crab, and avaocado. Drizzle with spicy mayo, soy sauce, and sesame seeds.

Luscious Lentil Loaf

Serving size: 3 people

Ingredients:

• ¾ cup lentils
  • ¾ cup cooked rice
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 onion finely chopped
  • 1 red pepper finely chopped
  • 1 cup chopped mushrooms
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
  • ¼ cup water
  • ¼ tsp cayenne 
  • ½ tsp coriander
  • ½ tsp cumin
  • ½ tsp curry
  • ½ tsp basil 
  • 1 tsp seasoning salt
  • 2 tsp cornstarch

Directions:

Cook lentils in broth for ½ hour or until soft

Put small amount of oil in a large pan and saute onions, garlic, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, then add seasoning and saute until soft. (remember for rice use ¾ cup cooked rice so you may have extra cooked rice since it is hard to get that proportion! Luckily you can make a easy fried rice or stir fry with extra veggies)

Add remaining ingredients, rice, and lentils. Stir well. Put in loaf pan and bake @ 350 for 20-30 min!

Last year I took a nutrition course and I found it so interesting!! Not only did I learn tons of information that help me make healthy choices every day, but now I’m learning how to take that information and turn it into lessons I can one day teach! Right now I’m working on a physical education unit on nutrition and I find that it’s really cool to start integrating what I know with what I want to teach!

Healthy foods
https://food-guide.canada.ca/en/

Previous

WEEK EIGHT

Next

WEEK NINE

1. dylanchampagne

OMG EMMA! These look absolutely amazing!

I have never been a good cook. As much as I love food, and think about it constantly, cooking for myself is never a habit/hobby I have gotten into or enjoyed. However, this post certainly makes me want to get into it.

Sushi bowls are some of my favourite foods (I order poke like once a week LOL), and you make them look so easy and delicious. I need to try this out.

I feel like meal planning, or even just cooking for yourself a couple of days of the week is one of the best things you can do for your body. This way you are taking time for yourself during the cooking process, and also nourishing your body properly.

Great job Emma, your blog inspires me so much. Keep up the amazing work!

2. katiefarrell

Wow, Emma! These look really good! I will definitely be using these recipes to cook for myself! I really appreciate how in-depth your posts are and I really feel like I am learning a lot I feel like all the information you are posting and researching is so important in creating a healthy and balanced lifestyle.